Everybody has one.
It probably grows unexpectedly every time you go somewhere new and exciting.
It might only be a short one, but it still counts.
You may not have given it a name, still counts.
It might not have been formally documented in a Microsoft Project plan, with timescales and budget afforded to it, but it definitely counts.
It may not even be all that realistic, but you still might try, yup, counts.
I want to take a minute to share, with anybody who’ll read it, MY BUCKET LIST!
I left home 2 years ago (at the time of writing the original post), thinking I was ticking one item off a list of about 4 goals in life. I have done so many things I never expected to have the courage to do and I’m proud of myself for taking this leap into the unknown and surviving for so long. My 4 item list has inevitably expanded into this monster. The coolest and most intriguing monster I could have ever imagined!
I intend to at least attempt every single item on this list. Progress is slow, but it’s underway. If it’s red I’ve made a start or I’ve taken steps to work towards it, if it’s green then it’s done!
- Spend a couple of months in Africa and volunteer – √ 20/09/2013-27/11/2013
- Volunteer with Orangutans in Borneo – √ 05/03/2017-17/03/2017
- Swim in a waterfall in Costa Rica
- Buy a house in France
- Learn to speak French
- Ski in Austria
- Snowboard a little
- Skydive – √ March 2010 (Wales)
- Bungee jump – √ April 2016 (New Zealand)
- Get a motorbike license – √ September 2017 (Wales)
- Ride a motorbike in Isle of Mann
- Go to a jazz bar in New Orleans
- Dance through the cherry blossoms in Kyoto, Japan
- Breed a Poison Arrow Frog
- Meet a Slow Loris
- Get a tattoo (Just ONE) – √ April 2016 (New Zealand)
- Learn to surf – Learn again and stick at it!
- Do the splits
- Choreograph my own pole dance routine
- Hold a perfectly controlled handstand
- Learn to play guitar – √ September 2017 (Wales)
- Successfully cook a Christmas dinner for friends / family
- Build my own home
- Create a conservatory with a butterfly and dragonfly enclosure and an aviary
- Meet Joanna Lumley, Stephen Fry and Will Smith
Writing things down helps me to keep track, this seems like a good place to store my list.
“You don’t have to be great to get started, but you have to get started to be great” – Les Brown
Wish me luck!